Martha Jane Toms, MD
Martha Jane Toms MD completed medical school at the Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta. Dr. Toms completed Internal Medicine Internship and Residency at the Orlando Regional Medical Center. During her training, Dr. Toms received multiple awards, including Primary Care Physician Award for the Orlando Health IM Residency Program, American College of Physians Florida Chapter Oral Presentation Award, Morehouse School of Medicine Merit Scholarship and Community Service Learning Grant at Morehouse School of Medicine. During her training, Dr. Toms held a leadership role in the Quality Advisory Council at Orlando Health Graduate Medical Education program that enabled development of quality improvement projects of Orlando Regional Medical Center.
Dr. Toms is board certifified in Internal Medicine.
- July 2013 – 2016 Internal Medicine Resident at Orlando Health, Orlando, FL
- July 2009 – May 2013 Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA Doctor of Medicine degree
- August 2005 – May 2009 University of Florida, Gainesville, FL Interdisciplinary Studies - Integrative Biology major Anthropology minor Graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science degree
AWARDS AND HONORS
Primary Care Physician Award for the Orlando Health IM Residency Program
American College of Physicians Florida Chapter Oral Presentation Award
Morehouse School of Medicine Merit Scholarship
Recipient of the Community Service-Learning Student Mini-Grant at the
Morehouse School of Medicine
· Co-created and implemented a health project directed towards local overweight high school students.
· Conducted focus groups to determine contributing factors to student weights.
· Led a tailored six-week program of informational and interactive sessions that taught students easy exercise routines to be performed at home and how to prepare healthy, simple, and cost-effective meals.
· Taught educational sessions providing details on how an unhealthy lifestyle correlates with heart disease, diabetes, and digestive health.
Bright Futures Scholarship - Florida Academic Scholars Award
University of Florida President’s Honor Roll
University of Florida Dean’s List
· Conducted a retrospective chart and surgical pathology review with Dr. Ginger E.
Holt and Dr. Herbert S. Schwartz at the Vanderbilt University Orthopaedic Institute
to determine whether the use of bisphosphonate, chemo, and endocrine therapies have been effective in preventing the metastasis of breast carcinoma to bone requiring surgery. The numbers of breast metastasis to bone was also compared to those of prostate, thyroid, lung, kidney, and other carcinomas.
“Hand Hygiene Compliance at Orlando Health,” AIAMC National Initiative IV, 2015, New Orleans, LA.
“Primary Cardiac Lymphoma Presenting in an AIDS Patient,” American College of Physicians – FL Chapter – Annual Residents & Medical Students Meeting, 2014, Orlando, FL.
“Increasing heart and digestive health in overweight adolescents through education, diet and exercise,” Morehouse School of Medicine, 2010, Atlanta, GA.
“Trends in the surgical treatment of metastatic breast to bone cancer: a single institution experience,” National Medical Association Annual Convention and Scientific Assembly, 2010, Orlando, FL.
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Quality Advisory Council at Orlando Health 2014 – 2016
- Discuss areas in need of quality improvement and support development of QI
projects within the Orlando Health Graduate Medical Education program and the
institution as a whole.
Hand Hygiene SAFE Team at Orlando Health – Education Team 2015 – 2016
- Co-leader of the Education Team, which assists in developing hand hygiene
educational material for Orlando Health team members, patients and patients’ families.
American College of Physicians member 2010 – Present
Secretary - American Medical Student Association – MSM Chapter 2010 – 2011
· Expanded the “Give the Gift of Clean Water” fundraising drive, donating a total of
$1,614.60 for LifeStraws.
· Managed chapter records.
Community Service Co-Chair - AMSA– MSM Chapter 2009 – 2010
· Co-created and launched the inaugural event, “Give the Gift of Clean Water,” which raised funds to donate LifeStraw®s to a developing country.
· Organized activities allowing MSM to reach out to underserved populations.
Vice President - Internal Medicine Interest Group at MSM 2009 – 2011
· Vice president for the 2010 – 2011 academic year.
American Medical Association 2009 – 2013
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE/COMMUNITY WORK
Undergraduate Mentor 2010
Student National Medical Association · Atlanta, GA
· Mentored an underrepresented high school student interested in applying to
Community Health Intervention (with 13 classmates) 9/09 – 5/2010
National Football League – Youth Education Town Boys & Girls Club · Atlanta, GA
· Conducted a needs assessment of the NFL-YET Boys & Girls Club.
· Implemented an intervention that led to the creation of a parent board, in the hopes of increasing parental involvement with the children and the program.
Student Sight Savers Volunteer 8/09 – 5/2010
Student Sight Savers Program · Atlanta, GA
· Assistance at local health fairs.
Core LabVolunteer 1/06 – 4/2006
Shands Hospital · Gainesville, FL
· Retrieved and sorted patient fluid samples to be analyzed and entered into the medical records.
Recreation Department Volunteer 2006 – 2008
North Florida Rehab and Specialty Care · Gainesville, FL
· Assisted residents of this nursing home and rehabilitative center with recreational activities that worked to exercise their motor coordination.
· Provided compassionate conversation to residents too debilitated to leave their beds.
M.A.P.S. Member 2007 – 2009
Minority Association of Pre-Health Students · Gainesville, FL
· Tutored children below their grade’s reading level in the YMCA READS!
· Prepared dinner at the Ronald McDonald House for families of chronically ill hospital patients.
· Participated in Health fairs held for underrepresented members of the community.
Phi Mu Fraternity - Alpha Nu Chapter 2005 – 2007
· Shands at Alachua General Hospital
Volunteered in the pediatric oncology unit and spent time with the children in arts and crafts.
· Relay for Life
Formed a relay team and raised money for the American Cancer Society, and honored those affected by this disease.